Friday 6 March 2009

Drip Drop

For some days now there is a desperate race in Oulu which neighbourhood will be the first to be snow free – ok, for the second day going. Tobi has been reporting rumours that some neighbourhoods, such as Linnanmaa and parts of Synimaa even drafted in with some bribes the heavy toers, tossers and scrapers of snow. Magnificent machines that otherwise I don’t get too excited about. He claims residents have been bribing the drivers.

Elena researched the issue a bit and she came to the conclusion that this in this case at least residents have not been slipping bribes, especially that they are poor students, or at least some of them are poor and there is no incentive to win as there is not a price given out. If not for the ability to lie on the wet grass outside your house. However, these neighbourhoods are run by the North of Finland Housing Association and thanks to heavy subsidies and some more heavy subsidies from the state they are loaded and spending the money on scraping snow.

I think they are both wrong but who am I to tell?

By the way the snow is melting and it seems serious about it. The conditions are perfect. Clouds from the south crushing air making breathing heavy. It’s warm and sticky; I almost roast outside even in light wear. +5. Amazing. Only 5 degrees more to go to reach the average morning temperature of July 2008.

I am not kidding about the +10! I remember my toes were cold in my sandals cycling to work but it was summer so I defied the cold. Things were different 2 days ago. It wasn’t so warm yet. In fact it was a lot cooler. About 10 degrees thus the melting race was still only in prep. With Tobi and Blue Bird we decided that that the kiting season is starting up and went on an adventure to find new and good kiting grounds. Nallikari, the official Oulu beach is only about 6 or 7 km, about 4 miles from home. Too much cycling or bussing to get there and back. But there is this place, less than half the distance, a beach... or so we hoped for none of us has ever been there. I didn’t trust Tobi and Blue Bird to explore the place for me and I didn’t trust them with the camera to bring back some pictures. They thought it was the best ides so far but somehow I didn’t. So we went.

About a km from the sea we had to abandon the bike for where the last buildings lay was where the clearing of snow has proceeded over the winter. Snow and dunes under snow as far as one could see. We walked. My companions bored quickly of walking especially that they are a lot shorter than me and the snow was deep and powdery still. They flew ahead resting on nearby trees and lampposts giving me directions from above and ahead which should be the best way to go. At some point, struggling through knee deep snow for the second time I started speculating shortcuts may not work. On the paths, marked by the lampposts at least there was some occasional traffic through the months, mostly dogs and their humans probably making the snow was a bit flatter. Eventually we made it to the coast noticing good spots and stretches on the way. The coast was good too. The only problem of course is the enormous effort and energy it takes to get there and back. So Kiting season is postponed for another month or so.

I must be fair to add that at home, before we sat out Jen mentioned that kiting season is on, it has been on some time but instead of the beach it’s on the lakes as their surface is probably still frozen solid. To be true to her she hasn’t failed to mention this on the second day of starting moon cycles since the beginning of December. But I have always been too cautious to venture too far and too long on the ice. Even if it has been perfectly fine to land an airliner on them for the last 2 months. I have learned my lesson. I will occasionally listen to my wife’s ideas. She is clever. I may even ask for direction when we are in an unknown city one day.

Other events in headlines;

Tobi, Elena, Bluebird, Zagy and Blabla are now fully my imagination’s responsibility as Lili is busy taking care with her 66 kittens, elephant friend and the reluctant Zebra.

There has been some knocking in and outside of the egg for the last week or so. Time is running out!

The ski break was fun. One of my colleges was off sick this week so the rest of us had the wonderful chance to work extra for no extra pay!

7 days left of a wait.

Sunrise was at 06:58 and sunset is expected at 17:38 although that could still be up for debate. Do we think that the laws of universe are universal for instance?

No comments: